Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I thought Monday night's game was the best of the year . . .

. . . but it had nothing on last night's game. To come back against the Dodgers in the LAtrine and beat them in the 9th was nothing short of wonderful. To win a game in which our ace pitched like crap showed heart, grit and fortitude in abundance. To see the Dodgers implode, bit by bit, culminating in Donnie Baseball's gaffe that cost them their best relief pitcher was pure joy. Hat tip to Ol' Boch for seeing Mattingly's mistake and pouncing on it. The fact that Torre left Kershaw in to start the 7th for the express purpose of throwing at Rowand was idiotic. The Dodgers were winning the game, Lincecum was out, the Giants were down, there was no reason to retaliate. I can only hope the Dodger meltdown is indicative of the state of the team. When your opponent is weakened, you finish him off. Let's go for the kill today!!

--M.C.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually got a chance to watch part of this game, namely the 8th and 9th innings. Way to go Giants!

Zo said...

The Giants appear to be a team that is playing with confidence. I hate to resort to cliches, but this was a great comeback. Now, I know this next thought may strain the innernet, but could it be that we should be showing a bit of confidence in the team?

M.C. O'Connor said...

I'm confident that we can sweep the LAtriners.

Go for the kill!!

Anonymous said...

I fell asleep in NJ when it was 5 to 1 I believe. Very stressful day yesterday, the game was not helping ease my unevenness yesterday, not to mention my insomnia that's been keeping me up the past few weeks, I succumbed to the Sandman. However, right when I woke up, I went back to my computer-as I had left it last night- and to my surprise, we won! That made me feel a wee bit brighter. Go Giants!

allfrank said...

Not saying I disagree, but what is the proof of "Torre left Kershaw in to start the 7th for the express purpose of throwing at Rowand?"

M.C. O'Connor said...

The benches had both been warned, that meant a deliberate pitch to hit a batter was an AUTOMATIC ejection for pitcher and manager. Kershaw had already thrown 100+ pitches, and he hit for himself in the previous half-inning. Clearly, the Dodgers didn't want to waste ANOTHER pitcher. By having Kershaw plunk the leadoff hitter (Rowand), the Dodgers got a "free shot" without wasting a bullpen arm.

At least that's the way I saw it.