Thursday, August 5, 2010

Austral Tim

The Giants and Tim Lincecum could not cash in on early chances and lost the opener of a 4 game series in Atlanta, 3-2. The Braves are the toughest team to beat at home in the NL ( they have only lost one series all year!) and we gave them an exciting contest...all kinds of small details that effected the game...if this is really a post-season preview (oh please, oh please, oh please) then it will be a doozy.

Tim continues to be a bit of an enigma wrapped in a conundrum. Although he did deliver yet another quality start (17 of 23 for Tim and 10 of last 12 for team), he was very uncharacteristically hurt by the long ball - a 2 run shot (after a two out 4 pitch walk!) and a solo shot for the difference. That makes the 11th and 12th this year, but six of those have been in the last month. We better keep an eye on that. His numbers: 6.1 innings, 6 hits, 3 runs, 3 walks, 7 strikeouts.

I'm going to step aside quickly as I sense a rush of comments about to pour out of MOC. Was this a perfect game to show the power of the homer, or what? We have a gazillion scoring chances but can't get a key hit; they have few chances but win with a couple big flies. Go ahead, get it out of your system, PONTIFICATE your heart out...if you don't say something, your head will explode.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder who picked up Adam Dunn???

M.C. O'Connor said...

I was surprised by the long ball, too. The Braves aren't really a home run club. The Giants have more as a team. You know, for all my hollering about homers, we know it's about scoring when you have the chances, and the Giants couldn't get that done. Jair Jurrjens was in trouble all night long but wriggled out of it. Got great work from the bullpen, although Wagner looked hittable.

Tim deserved better. He made some guys look silly. Great game, taut, well-played. Get 'em tomorrow, eh?

Anonymous said...

I was saddened by the loss. I can't even remember the last time we lost TWO in a ROW. Well, at least the Rockies lost and I'm fine with either the Padres or the Dodgers losing. They're tied for the teams I hate most (though I'm not too fond of the Braves either). I don't understand it, their balls kept going but ours just died and some of them sounded pretty good off the bat too. I still can't believe that we couldn't move runners better. Jurrjens was very hittable early on and we couldn't add on. Hopefully this will wake up the offense tomorrow. Go Giants!

M.C. O'Connor said...

I was really hoping for "Peachy Tim."

Zo said...

1 for 10 with RISP.