Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Just a 3-run homer short of victory

I like that Brandon Belt got three hits, and Brandon Crawford two (including a homer). Funny thing about this game, the Giants had a shot. If they'd gotten a 3-run shot, that is. They piled up 8 runs on 12 hits and hung a Golden Sombrero on Ryan Braun and still lost. That's what happens when Barry Zito gives up an 8-spot of his own. Get all that ugly out early, lads. Then pitch better down the stretch, OK? Bruce Bochy got Chad Gaudin going just a wee bit too late and suddenly there was a grand slam and that was enough. Kept thinking it was Coors Field, not Miller Park. Hey! Let's name a few more yards for beers. I like that. How about Guinness Grounds? Michelob Meadows? Pabst Palace? Anchor Steam Stadium? Yeah, I think I'm on to something.

Giants had the bases loaded and nobody out in the 5th trailing 9-5, and scored one run on an out. They had the bases loaded with one out in the 6th trailing 9-6 and scored a run on an out. Hey, I'm all for productive outs, but that's taking it a little far. I was kind of hoping, you know, for an extra-base hit. But I like the way the team kept hammering away at those Milwaukeans, they seemed real eager to give up hits and runs. Giants 'pen: 5-1/3 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 7 K. Brewers 'pen: 5 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 4 K. OK, I'm grasping for straw-like things. Hard-hit balls, lots of hard-hit balls. Gregor Blanco (0-for-5, stranding 5) should have had four hits. Buster Posey and Hunter Pence were 1-for-9 and stranded 9. I'm looking for something better tomorrow.




Brother Bob said...

I'm hoping that now Timmy can go back to being Timmy now that Zito has gone back to being Zito. Ah hell, if Cain can have a 9-run inning then Zito can have an 8-run inning.
But this team never gives up. When was the last time we were "out of it" in any game? A long time ago.

Shankbone said...

In 2008-9 that game is over in the 2nd. This is a good ballclub. Fightin' like upside down cats.